by CASEY CHEEK, alltypesofbowls.com
Hi! I’m Casey, a part-time food blogger, full-time architect, wife, and dog mom. In All Types Of Bowls, you’ll find healthy inspiration for making your favorite cravings and comfort foods. I believe we should eat all our cravings, whether it’s a leafy grain bowl or a big bowl of pasta.
Chicken Pot Pie Soup
(Healthier and Dairy Free)
Serves 6 | Prep Time: 15 minutes | Cook Time: 30 minutes | Total Time: 45 minutes
- 1 sweet onion, diced
- 2 shallots, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 celery stalks, diced
- 3 large carrots, diced
- ½ cauliflower head, chopped
- 2 large or 3 small russet potatoes, peeled and diced
- ½ cup frozen peas
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tbsp sage
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 ½ – 2 chicken breasts
- 2 cups unsweetened plain almond milk
- 2 cups chicken broth
Pie Crust Croutons Ingredients:
- 1 sheet puff pastry
- Salt and pepper
- Olive oil spray or egg wash
- In a soup pot, add the olive oil and sear the chicken breast on both sides. It does not need to be cooked all the way Remove the chicken and set aside.
- Add the onion, shallot, and garlic to the soup pot. Cook until they soften. Then add the celery, carrots, cauliflower, and potatoes. Once cooked a few minutes, add the salt, pepper, garlic powder, thyme, and sage. Cook again for another few minutes.
- Add in the almond milk and chicken broth to the pot. Add the chicken breasts back in and cook for another 10 minutes. Remove the chicken breasts from the pot.
- Cook the soup for another 10 minutes. Once the vegetables have softened, ladle out ½ of the vegetables into a blender, draining the liquid before adding it to the blender. Blend the vegetables until smooth and then add back into the pot. This will thicken the soup.
- Shred the chicken breast and add back into the soup. Lastly, add the frozen peas into the pot. Cook for another few minutes and serve with the Pie Crust Croutons!
- To make the Pie Crust Croutons: Preheat the oven to 400 F. Line a baking sheet and cut the puff pastry into tiny squares. Lay on the sheet about 1” apart. Spray them with olive oil spray or brush with egg wash. Season with salt and pepper and bake for 9 minutes. Store in an airtight container on the counter or in the pantry.