“You can only become truly accomplished at something you love. Don’t make money your goal. Instead pursue the things you love doing, and then do them so well that people can’t take their eyes off of you.” ~ Maya Angelou
When I was growing up, I actually liked helping my mom clean house. It meant furniture and accessories could be rearranged in a way that gave our home a fresh new look, and I loved it! I still get to do that in my own home and in the homes of my clients, and yes, I still love it!
July 2005, I trained with the Interior Redesign Industry Specialist, and ReDESIGNS by Ava became a reality. Now, 14 years later, I am thankful to be doing what I love the most: helping you create a beautiful home, one room at a time. A home where your family and friends can come to be loved, refreshed and encouraged.
Anna Jacoby’s words express my philosophy, and I approach each and every decorating/redesign project with them in mind: “The concept of redesign is so much more than just a service….it is really a philosophy and a mindset. It is about honoring and validating your client’s choices; it is about serving the clients with the utmost integrity and respect; it is about approaching each project with the idea that, even if we are buying things, the client’s existing furnishings will be incorporated into the room’s new design. It also means that, as the designer, my tastes are secondary to the client’s tastes and lifestyle. It means that when we do purchase new items, we are selective and intentional about the purchases….we do not buy things and fill the room, just for the sake of buying things, and we always keep functionality in mind when redesigning a room.”
Whether you have been one of my clients, students, are a friend or family member or read my monthly articles in Forsyth Womanmagazine, you have encouraged me. I thank you from the bottom of my heart for 14 wonderful years and look forward to serving you in the years to come.
- If your wallpaper has a busy pattern, choose artwork and frames that are simple.
- Neutrals make sense for big-ticket items, like a headboard, sofa, or area rug. If left alone, they are boring and ‘flat.’ Bring in color where it’s easiest and cheapest….by using paint, fabrics, and accessories.
- When hanging art, keep in mind that you do not have to hang art on every wall…..your eye needs a place to ‘rest.’
- When arranging accessories, think contrast: old with new, hard with soft, smooth with rough, shiny with matte… and don’t forget to vary the heights.
- Use larger artwork on smaller walls to create the illusion of a larger space. Never use small artwork on a large wall.
- Make sure that when you hang a mirror, it will reflect something beautiful.
- Purchasing accessories for your home?Think “large over-sized accessories.” Large accessories have more ‘punch’ and you will use fewer accessories, achieving an uncluttered look.
- Cover 2/3s of the wall space above a mantle, sofa, chest, buffet, bed, etc. with one or more pieces of art to achieve the proper proportion.
- Do you feel your room lacks a “pulled together” look? Try using pairs of chairs, lamps, or tables to help achieve the cohesive look you desire.
- Add flowers and plants to your rooms; nature brings ‘life’ to your décor.
Need help with a decorating project? Give ReDESIGNS by Ava a call to schedule an appointment.