The number of American seniors is expected to reach 70 million by the year 2030, according to the U.S. Census. Even with good golden years’ planning, two-thirds of older adults will need some form of assistance to go about their daily lives (American Journal of Public Health). While some elderly individuals choose to downsize by moving into a smaller residence or a quasi-independent assisted living facility, many seniors prefer to remain in their current homes for as long as possible – a burgeoning movement called aging in place. There are some challenges, of course, as the need for assistance varies by person and activity, but with proper medical equipment, supplies, mobility devices, and assistive furniture, this growing segment of the American population is proving it is possible to modify their lifestyles and environments to spend their later years living comfortably and independently.
For more than 50 years, Forsyth Medical Supply has been a trusted source for common and unique medical supplies and equipment of all kinds. They are accredited by the Better Business Bureau and have received the Readers’ Choice Award for 20 years in recognition of their unbeatable customer service. Forsyth Medical Supply is proud to serve clients throughout the Triad and surrounding areas. Whether renting or purchasing, customers receive guidance from a qualified, compassionate professional in the selection and use of high-quality medical supplies, equipment, and assistive furniture. When used properly, medical aides can make seniors’ lives healthier, happier, and relatively stress-free.
“Adapting the home for safety and ease of use can help people retain their independence longer.” (Languirand, How to Age in Place)
5 Resources Seniors Can Leverage to Maintain Independence and Well-being
- Lift Chair: Getting out of a chair without pain and added strife can be a real struggle. Forsyth Medical Supply believes individuals should not sacrifice comfort and ease of getting in and out of a recliner to enjoy relaxing (or sleeping) in their favorite chair. With knowledgeable associates to help customers decide the size and style that’s right for them (and over 25 lift chairs on site available for immediate rental or purchase), taking home the perfect chair is easy. Forsyth Medical Supply even files the warranty for the life of the chair and can provide delivery!
- Power wheelchair and mobility scooter: Wheelchairs and scooters are necessary mobility accessories for millions of older adults. There are many things to consider when selecting a wheelchair or scooter: manual or electric, portability, controls (one or two handed, level of dexterity), size, weight capacity, height, seating, wheel durability, turn radius, etc. The associates at Forsyth Medical Supply can help seniors find the very best wheelchair or mobility scooter to get around comfortably and easily.
Bathroom/Bedroom Safety Aids
- Shower Chair: A loss of mobility in aging can make everyday activities like bathing difficult. The tub/shower is one of the most common places to fall in the home and, for those over 65, such falls have a high likelihood of resulting in injury, and even hospital stays. A shower chair diminishes the dangers of falling by adding much-needed stability, as well as a comfortable resting place while showering. Because seniors have different disabilities and ranges of mobility, no one chair is right for every individual. Forsyth Medical Supply team members are adept at helping seniors select the correct option for them.
- Bed Rails: Adding rails to a home bed prevents falling out of bed and can also provide support when getting in and out of bed. Different sizes, styles and heights of bed rails are available. With so many options to choose from, it is important for seniors to determine the rail that provides them the utmost level of comfort and one that is compatible with the bed they have at home. Some bed rails can be adjusted for size, some come equipped with padded handle grips, and others come with an accessory pouch.
- Incontinence Supplies: Seniors frequently suffer from incontinence as part of normal aging. In fact, 1 in 3 older women and 1 in 12 older men experience incontinence problems that are not only inconvenient but can be life-altering, too. Having the right products provides peace of mind without the worry of accidents. Because there are so many choices for washable and disposable bed pads, top of the line absorbent disposable undergarments, adult diapers, disposable washcloths, etc., it can be challenging to know which products to purchase. Thankfully, seniors can rely on the well-trained staff at Forsyth Medical Supply to point them in the right direction to help their specific needs.
Forsyth Medical Supply – Caring for You is Our Specialty
The showroom is located at 3033 Trenwest Drive in Winston-Salem, and their store hours are Monday – Friday from 9 a.m. to 5:30 p.m. For more information, call 336-768-5512, or visit them online at ForsythMedicalSupply.com.