3 Trending Butter Boards That Make Entertaining Easy
Look out charcuterie boards, butter boards are the latest food trend taking over TikTok and food blogs, and for good reason. We’ve seen the rise of “board” style serving over the last several seasons from brunch to dessert, quickly becoming something this decade will be known for. The latest butter board trend will make the list with it proving to be a simple, fast and an easy way to impress your guests with an appetizer that checks both the “shareable” and “sophisticated” boxes. While butter boards do have a few important reminders to make them a success, they really are a must have for your next gathering.
Starting with a higher quality butter, you can adorn your boards with an array of different ingredients and flavors or lean into a softer flavor profile. You can try different things like fresh herbs, edible flowers, jams and preserves, chopped nuts, soft cheeses, cured meats and more.
Nobody likes a butchered butter board! Before sharing our recipe roundup, be sure to follow these quick tips to ensure your butter board is successful from initial spread to serving.
- Soften your butter naturally, avoiding the microwave so the fat and milk don’t separate.
- Add salt no matter which recipe you choose to help draw out the flavors
- Line your board with parchment paper to make clean up easy and less greasy
- Serve with utensils and small plates for easy sharing and less mess
#1 Fig & Prosciutto Butter Board by Jenny Lin | BeyondTheNoms.com
Bringing texture and flavor in full force, this board is the perfect appetizer to excite the senses and your guests!
- 4 oz salted butter softened
- 4 oz goat cheese softened
- 1/4 cup fig jam or preserves
- 4 figs sliced
- 2 slices prosciutto
- 1/4 cup arugula
- 2 tablespoons walnuts, chopped
- 1/4 teaspoon red pepper flakes
- flaky salt and black pepper, to taste
- 2 tablespoons balsamic glaze
- Fresh rosemary, oregano, thyme, or basil to garnish
- Crusty bread to serve
Instructions: Spread the butter on half of the board with the goat cheese on the other half. Layer on dollops of fig jam, figs, prosciutto, arugula, and walnuts. Season with red pepper flakes, flaky salt, and black pepper. Drizzle balsamic glaze on top. Garnish with fresh herbs and serve with toasted crusty bread or crackers.
#2 Cinnamon Honey Butter Board by Jessica Randhawa | TheForkedSpoon.com
Whether kicking off brunch or a girls’ night this board gives a little something sweet and savory!
- 1 cup salted butter, at room temperature
- ¼ cup honey, divided
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon, divided
- 1, 2-inch piece honeycomb (optional)
- Fresh bread, rolls, or crackers (for serving)
Instructions: Mix together in a standing or hand mixer, combining the softened butter, half of the honey (2 tablespoons), and ¾ teaspoon of cinnamon until smooth. Spread the butter in a single layer onto your clean serving board. Drizzle the remaining honey over the honey and sprinkle the top with the remaining ¼ teaspoon of cinnamon. Break the honeycomb into bite-size chunks and top the butter with the honeycomb. Serve with your favorite warmed bread, rolls, or crackers.
#3 Crispy Shallot & Cranberry Butter Board by Karen Mele
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- Crispy shallots, toasted
- 1/4 cup cranberry sauce
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- Fresh rosemary or basil to garnish
- Salt & Pepper, to taste
- Fresh challah, crostini or crackers (for serving)
Instructions: Mix room temperature butter with a hand mixer until well whipped. Toast crispy shallots on a cookie sheet at 300°F in the oven for just 5 minutes to get the ultimate crispiness. Sprinkle crispy shallots with salt and pepper in one section, ribbon the cranberry sauce in another and add orange zest and fresh herbs generously to the third section.
Which butter board are you going to try this month? Share photos of your board on social media and tag us on Instagram @forsythmags or on Facebook @Forsythwomanandforsythfamilymagazines