by SUSAN BOYOUNG BAILEY SCHABACKER
Wondering what to give your mother to make her feel special this Mother’s Day? You can go all out and get the biggest and most expensive gift you can think of, or you can keep it simple and just spend some quality time with her. But if you’re looking for a way to celebrate that also helps you relax and de-stress, making DIY gifts might be the perfect option.
Making homemade gifts not only gives you a chance to show appreciation for your mom, but it also allows you to enjoy some therapeutic art activities together. Plus, homemade gifts are always appreciated more than anything you could buy in a store. Consider making some heartfully handmade DIY gifts together.
DIY gifts offer a unique way of expressing your appreciation and the sentiment behind your gifts will make her feel extra special. Since it’s the thought that counts, there’s no need to overspend. With the season of spring in the air and Mother’s Day quickly approaching, here are some inspiring ideas to help you craft thoughtful and meaningful homemade gifts:
- Create a personalized photo album or scrapbook of your favorite memories with Mom. Collect photos, write heartfelt captions, and make sure to include sweet words of gratitude. Reflect on all the conversations you’ve shared, words of wisdom, and even those annoying lectures you got when you were grounded. You can also include your fav memories, special places, and dates. Glean from the highlights of what you want to remember and share. Then type up and print out or handwrite quotes to assemble in a scrapbook, or create a collage/montage work of art on a canvas or paper of your mom’s sayings.
- Exercising your creativity, working with your hands, and giving what’s been heartfully handcrafted can be important art therapy. As the beautiful buds bloom and blossom, whether it’s a single flower, greenery, or an entire bouquet, create the perfect pairing with a work of art vase. Save and repurpose wine, beer, sake, soda, and kombucha bottles to creatively transform into beautiful vases. For visual elements, cut out printed images, pictures from magazines, and dried pressed flowers and/or herbs. Paste these onto the vase and, optionally, add color with any medium (oil, acrylic, water color, pastel, markers, colored pencils, and/or crayons) or keep it monochrome or black and white.
- Assemble a creative gift basket filled with items special to her – whether it’s homemade candles, fresh or dried flowers, or a selection of her favorite tea blends with little details that show her how much thought you put into her gift. Tuck in a few small self-care pampering gifts that are cozy and smell good such as warm fuzzy socks, bath bombs, or calming essential oils.
- Get active with art activities together – try painting, sketching, or pottery making as a fun activity to bond over and create something beautiful together. If you are unable to be physically present with your mom on Mother’s Day, why not organize an online art class for both of you? You can both learn about painting techniques or even try out some digital art styles.
- Set up an outdoor picnic – grab a blanket, pack some snacks and drinks and head outdoors for some quality time with Mom in nature. It’s a great way to spend time together while enjoying the blooming season of spring. Pack a fruit basket, sandwiches, and sweet picnic treats ahead of time to make this a no-fuss, no-muss time together.
- Make use of nature’s supplies – all you need are some collected leaves, pebbles and twigs to create wonderful artwork pieces that will remind Mom of the beauty of nature every time she looks at it.
Whichever ideas you choose to go with this Mother’s Day, make sure they come from the heart. Put a smile on her face and celebrate your special bond when you create meaningful projects that celebrate and commemorate her life, her important role in your life, and the beautiful bonds that continue.