We’ve moved past the Superbowl and Valentine’s Day looms ahead. Why celebrate love on only one day a year? Why not say I Love You every day! Here’s a few more simple ways to get their attention:
1. Write them a note – yes, actually write and note and hide it somewhere where they will find it during their day. In a lunch box, in a DayTimer, with their keys to the car. They will be surprised you chose this archaic form of communication but it will make them smile.
2. Give them some space. You don’t have to spend every minute of every day together, there’s nothing better than a spouse taking the kids out to eat and giving Mom or Dad a quiet hour at home.
3. Be nice – when was the last time you complimented your spouse? Make it a point to point out something wonderful every day!
4. Don’t be selfish – sometimes taking one for the family is the biggest gift you can give them – your time, your sunny attitude always shows you care.
5. Don’t wait – do it today and every day, then Valentine’s Day becomes just a day in the story of your love!
He who attempts too much seldom succeeds (Netherlands)
In every woman there is a Queen. Speak to the Queen and the Queen will answer. (Norway)
The greatest love is a mother’s, then a dog’s, then a sweetheart’s. (Poland)
Fear less, hope more, eat less, chew more, whine less, berathe more, talk less, say more, hate less, love more, and all good things will be yours. (Sweden)
Those who wish to sing always find a song. (Sweden)
When a proud man hears another praised, he feels himself injured. (English)
There is no pillow so soft as a clear conscience (France)
After all is said and done, more is said than done. (United States)
No woman can make a wise man out of a fool, but every woman can change a wise man into a fool. (Aregentina)
Listen to what they say of the others and you will know what they say about you. (Cuba)
A man with trousers that are too short should wear long suspenders. (Jamaica)
If you can walk you can dance. If you can talk you can sing. (Zimbabwe)
Do not look where you fell, but where you slipped. (African Proverb)
Only a fool tests the depth of the water with both feet. (Ghana)
The barking of a dog does not disturb the man on a camel (Egypt)
Words are like eggs: when they are hatched they have wings. (Madagascar)
Lower your voice and strengthen your argument (Lebanon)
If you make a habit of buying things you do not need, you will soon be selling things you do. ( Philippines )
Never rely on the glory of the morning or the smiles of your mother-n-law (Japan)
A courtyard common to all will be swept by none. (Chinese Proverb)
A rumor goes in one ear and out many mouths. (Chinese Proverb)
Turn your face to the sun and the shadows fall behind you. (New Zealand)
Today is the 97th blog entry I have written for Forsyth Woman Magazine. I just can’t believe I will be writing blog 100 in three weeks! What should this blog be about? Should it really matter, should it be serious or silly, meaningful, reflective or should I give away something free! Do you have any suggestions?
Historically speaking and based on website comments, hits, Face book comments and reshares, the following links are blogs that seemed to matter most to others:
A Giant Hug from heaven (Easter)
A New Family Tradition (Christmas)
Wednesday Word Series
Do you have any suggestions for my 100th blog entry?
“Women Rock!” Yesterday a friend told me that her daughter came to this stunning realization as she considered the many hats women wear in this world. Are there some things that women can do better than men? (I am not bashing men ~ just celebrating women!)
Here are a few things that came to my mind:
• Women can multi-task better than most men can.
• It is often said that women are the heart of the home.
• Women look better in lipstick.
• Women tolerate pain better than men do.
• Women flirt better than men.
• Women can get things done with only a glance . . . know what I mean!
• Women are better shoppers and better bargain hunters.
• Only women can get pregnant.
• Women grow more hair as they age . . . oops; forget this one because the hair does not grow where we want it to grow! ?
• A woman’s body looks better in a dress.
So let us be fair, what do men do better?
• Men age better than women
• Men look better with gray hair
• While women are the heart of the home, men are the protector of the home.
• Men have the potential to earn more money than women do – which is totally unfair!
• Most men can get ready, for any event, faster than women can.
• Men look better than women with hair on their face. (ha ha ha)
• Men lose weight faster than women do.
A man’s got to do what a man’s got to do.
A woman must do what he can’t.
Did you know that last Sunday was National “Go Back to Church Sunday?” Personally, I did not know such a day existed until I was driving home yesterday and saw it on a church sign. Do you think it would make a difference in our community or nation if every church closed their doors? How?
A recent Gallup poll report said that church attendance in America is increasing. This includes all types of churches and includes synagogues and mosque attendance as well. The report said that 43.1% of Americans report weekly or almost weekly attendance at church. Below is the averages reported:
* 2009 42.1%
* 2010 42.8%
* 2011 43.1% (Jan – May)
Growing up in the Bible Belt, I have attended church most of my life and for me the reasons have been different, at different ages and stages of life. I doubt I will ever fully know the difference it has made in my life, but I am convinced my life has been enriched, supported, encouraged and changed by participating in a community of faith.
Sometimes you just need to stop what you are doing and take a nap! When was the last time you took a nap? Did you know this coming Saturday might be the perfect day for a nap? A nap can be a pleasant luxury, a mini-vacation, an easy way to increase alertness and performance according to the National Sleep Foundation.
Some people think that naps are only for children, the sick and the elderly, but one study by NASA found that pilots and astronauts increased their performance by one third and their alertness by 100% after taking a nap!
Talkaboutsleep.com said that nature intended that we take a nap in the middle of the day. Those who research sleep and sleep patterns have found that there is a slight drop of body temperature mid-afternoon and that mood and alertness drops. Americans meet this challenge in the worst possible ways – caffeine, sweets, etc. which might give us a little boost, but really do more harm than good.
Three tips for planning the perfect nap:
1. Plan your nap in the early afternoon. (Sleeping later in the day can disrupt your evening sleep.
2. Keep your nap short, 30 minutes or less to enjoy the greatest benefits from napping.
3. Choose a cool, dark, noise-free area.
No day is so bad it can’t be fixed with a nap. (Carrie P Snow)
Have you ever pulled up to a red light and tried to avoid eye contact with a person holding a cardboard sign that read, “Need Help,” or “Hungry” or “Homeless?” I am embarrassed to say that I have. How do you handle this situation?
I’ll be brutally honest with you, I was not proud of myself when I would look the other way, avoided eye contact or pretended I was changing channels on the radio. As I drove past the people I would feel a sting in my spirit that said, “What’s the matter with you ~ you have more than enough to share?” However, I just did not know what to do. I knew it was not in the best interest of the person to hand money to them, yet it was not in their best interest to pretend they did not exist either. In fact, pretending they did not exist was the worst possible thing I could do.
Several months ago, I was given two common-sense suggestions:
1.) Keep $5.00 McDonald’s gift cards in your car.
2.) Keep a lunch bag in your car that has non-perishable food items in it. Examples might include breakfast bars, peanuts, crackers, etc. . .
Do you have suggestions of ways to respond honorably to those who need help?
If you can’t feed a hundred people, then feed just one.
( Mother Teresa)
Could it get any easier? This week I stumbled onto the best fruit smoothie of the summer. Below is my secret recipe and now what I need from you is your recommendation for the best ice crushing, smoothie making blender. (Please do not say the Vitamix 5200 or Blendtec Total Blender because most people cannot afford a $500.00 blender.)\
The Special Recipe
½ ripe banana (fresh)
5 – 6 blueberries (frozen)
4 strawberries (fresh)
4 bing cherries (frozen)
You may need to add a little water or give it a kick with a splash of Diet Mt. Dew!
1. Always use one or two pieces of fresh fruit because it will blend better.
2. If you must use all frozen fruit, set it out of the freezer about 15 minutes.
3. Buy fruit every week; freeze whatever is not eaten in the first few days.
Freezing fruit for smoothies is simple:
1. Rinse the fruit.
2. Let the fruit dry.
3. Place fruit on a cookie sheet and put in the freezer for about an hour or until frozen.
4. Place frozen fruit in a freezer bag.
5. When freezing bananas cut in 1 ½ – 2 inch slices
Cooking with herbs is quite flavorful, not to mention very healthy. I have always assumed that using herbs was expensive and complicated ~ I was very wrong! About six weeks ago I began growing Sweet Basil in my sunroom window and I have found many simple ways to use this wonderful herb.
In the grocery store I found a small basil plant, so I decided to purchase it as opposed to buying a small bunch of fresh basil. I left the plant in the little plastic container and placed it in a glass bowl. I have been harvesting leaves several times a week using them in a variety of simple ways. The cost of one small living plant in the grocery store is about the same as buying one bunch of fresh herbs.
Simple, easy ways to use Fresh Basil
• Sandwiches: Using fresh basil leaves turns an ordinary sandwich into a gourmet delight! Place fresh basil leaves on any sandwich that has slices of tomato on it.
• Pizzas: Put basil leaves on veggie pizzas or tomato and cheese pizzas.
• Salads: Try adding torn basil leaves to any pasta salad or traditional garden salads.
• Italian dishes: Add torn basil leaves to the top of your favorite Italian dishes just before serving.
Do you have any suggestions for using fresh basil?
Do you really enjoy quotes? Do you have a funny quote, an inspirational quote or a quote about women that you would be willing to share? Quotes encourage us, make us laugh and make us think. Below you will find a few of my favorite quotes and a few funny quotes about women.
Fear knocked on the door, faith answered, there was no one there….. (Author unknown)
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those how mind don’t matter, and those who matter don’t mind. (Dr Seuss)
Today you are you, that is truer than true. There is no alive who is youer than you. (Dr Suess)
In my world, everyone’s pony and they all eat rainbows and poop butterflies. (Dr Suess)
Many promising reconciliations have broken down because, while both parties came prepared to forgive, neither party came prepared to be forgiven. (Charles Williams)
To carry a grudge is like being stung to death by one bee (William H Walton)
Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them? (Abraham Lincoln)
* * * * * * * * *
Quotes about women
There are two things that you don’t mess with: a girl’s man and girl’s chocolate. (Kalee)
Women complain about PMS, but I think of it as the only time of the month that I can be myself. (Roseanna Barr)
No man knows more about women than I do, and I know nothing. (Author unknown)
Behind every successful man there is a surprised woman. (Maryon Pearson)
A woman is like a teabag, you never know how strong she is until she gets into hot water. (Eleanor Roosevelt)
If a woman has to choose between catching a fly ball and saving an infant’s life, she will choose to save the infant’s life without even considering if there are men on base. (Dave Barry)
One of the most difficult things in the world is to convince a woman that even a bargain costs money (Author unknown)
A foolish man tells a woman to stop talking; a wise man tells a woman her lips look beautiful when they are closed. (Author unknown)
- March 2013
- February 2013
- January 2013
- December 2012
- October 2012
- July 2012
- April 2012
- March 2012
- February 2012
- January 2012
- December 2011
- November 2011
- October 2011
- September 2011
- August 2011
- July 2011
- June 2011
- May 2011
- April 2011
- March 2011
- February 2011
- January 2011
- December 2010
- November 2010
- October 2010
- September 2010
- August 2010
- July 2010
- June 2010
- May 2010
- April 2010
- March 2010
- February 2010
- January 2010
- December 2009
- November 2009
- October 2009
- September 2009
- August 2009
- July 2009
- June 2009
- May 2009
- March 2009
- Continuing Education
- Dining Out or Take Out
- Forsyth Woman
- Home care
- How To
- Looking Back
- Move It And Lose It
- What's Your Favorite